The office of the presidential amnesty programme has said it has begun probe of 3000 suspicious accounts and put on hold payment of fraudulent contractors.
This was disclosed by the Special Adviser on Media to the Interim Administrator of the program, Neotaobase Egbe in ABUJA on Tuesday.
Egbe, said deeper investigation brought about suspicion of over 3000 accounts receiving the N65, 000 monthly stipends.
The media Adviser added that a preliminary probe showed that some of the accounts were fake and fraudulently used to siphon funds meant for original ex-agitators.
“Immediately the investigation was ordered, the amnesty office stopped the stipends of the accounts undergoing probe. It is the right thing to do.
“I can tell you that some of the accounts had been cleared and their owners will receive their stipends. But there will be deeper probe to discover the identities of persons receiving monies through identified fake accounts,” he stated.
Egbe, who made this clarification said Dikio was determined to reposition the system to ensure that amnesty’s resources were expended on real and verifiable ex-agitators and not on impostors.
According to him, “some angry contractors were funding propaganda against Dikio because the amnesty boss resisted pressure they mounted on him to pay them for jobs not done.
“Investigations revealed that contractors within PAP office were not delivering their jobs in accordance with their terms of contracts.
“These contractors want to be paid for laptops that were not supplied and others who supplied, delivered counterfeit products,”.
Egbe, said no amount of propaganda would stop the office from carrying out what they described as reform.
However, an ex-agitator Victor Magada also said that persons behind blackmails against Dikio are impersonators, who were hitherto syphoning the monthly stipends of the original beneficiaries of the programme.
He insisted that those opposed to the reform were behind the padding of the amnesty payroll with duplicated names recently discovered in a probe ordered by Dikio to sanitise the system.
Victor noted that the names of some the original beneficiaries of PAP were shortchanged in 2009 and stipends had since been hijacked to the accounts of non-beneficiaries of the programme.